Monday, May 7, 2018

Girl “Seeing”


GIRL “SEEING”
A Story from My Mumbai Navy Days
By
VIKRAM KARVE

40 Years Ago (Circa 1978)
Mumbai (Then Called Bombay)

My ship returned to our Base Port Mumbai after a long sailing program – we had returned to Mumbai after nearly 3 months.

By the time we “secured” – it was almost lunchtime – and the Captain declared “make and mend” (half day) – to enable married officers and sailors to go home to their families.

Like all “in-living” officers – I had plenty of beer in the afternoon – followed by a hearty lunch – and I was in deep sleep in my cabin – when I was shaken out of my beer-induced stupor.

It was my course-mate “X” – my best friend. 

“Come on – Wake Up – we are going to see a “girl”…” he said.

“Let me sleep for some time…” I protested.

“It is already past 5 – we must reach her house by a decent time…”

“Where…?” I asked, sleepily.

“Dadar…”

“Why Dadar…?”

“The “girl” lives there…”

“What “girl” are you talking about…?”

“My “fiancée”…”

“What…? Fiancée…? Have you got engaged…?” I asked, surprised.

“Not yet. I want you to approve the “girl” – if you like her – we will have the “formal” engagement ceremony…” he said.

I noticed that my course-mate “X” was wearing uniform – so I said to him:

“Are you going in uniform to see the “girl”…?

“No. No. The moment I came to know that your ship has returned to harbour – I came straight to your ship from office. You go and get fresh and come to your senses – you still look all “Beered Out”…” he said.

When I returned after having a refreshing shower – I saw that “X” was all “dressed-up” in my clothes – he was wearing my favourite shirt with my best pair of trousers.

“I have seen people borrow shirts – but you have “bummed” my trousers too…” I said to “X”.

“What are best friends for…?” he said, “there is no time to go all the way to my cabin in Command Mess…”

My course-mate “X” liberally splashed on my perfume – and he said to me:

“I’ll go to the gangway and use the shore phone to tell my fiancée that we are reaching by 6/6:30…”

(Dear Reader: Please remember that this story happened 40 years ago – in 1978 – when there were no mobile phones. Those days – even landlines were considered a “luxury” – and – a common landline shore phone was rigged up on the gangway when the ship was in harbour…)

15 minutes later – at 5:30 PM to be precise – we were sitting in a taxi – heading for Dadar.

Normally – for travelling to Dadar – we would have taken a double-decker bus (Route No. 1) from Museum – or travelled by local train – from CST (then called VT) by the Central Railway or from Churchgate by the Western Railway.

But today – we were going to “see” a girl – and we wanted to look our best when we arrived at her place.

There was quite a bit of traffic – and by the time we reached the girl’s home – it was well past 6 – the time was around 6:15 PM.

Inside – I found a huge crowd – it seemed they were having a family function – or maybe – the neighbours had turned up to “see” the boy.

There were a number of girls – and – my friend generally introduced me to them – and I was confused as to which of the girls was his fiancée.

We sat down on the sofa – with all the girls giggling and looking at us.

Suddenly – a beautiful girl came into the room carrying a tray of snacks.

She served us the snacks.

There was the quintessential “Kande Pohe” and hot “Gulab Jamuns”.

Ah – so this girl was my friend’s fiancée.

I asked her the classic question:

“Did you make the Pohe and Gulab Jamun yourself…?”

“Yes…” she said, “please start eating – and do tell me if you like them…?”

I ate the Kande Pohe – they were okay.

Then – I put a piece of Gulab Jamun on my tongue – the Gulab Jamun was so soft and succulent that it just melted on my tongue.

Yes – the Gulab Jamuns tasted heavenly – they were the best Gulab Jamuns I had ever eaten.

So – I said to my friend’s fiancée:

“Your Gulab Jamuns are really good. In fact – these are the best Gulab Jamuns I have ever eaten in my life…”

My friend’s fiancée blushed – and said to me:

“Thank you – I am so happy you liked them – you must have some more Gulab Jamuns…”

“Of course…” I said, “I will have at least 10 more…”

Yes – I easily had 10 more Gulab Jamuns – maybe much more – the Gulab Jamuns were so delicious that I lost count of how many I had eaten.

Maybe – I had eaten all the Gulab Jamuns my friend’s fiancée had made.

There were so many people around – so many girls – my friend was talking to them – but my attentions were totally focused on the Gulab Jamuns – and the beautiful girl who was serving me the Gulab Jamuns – my friend’s fiancée.

I refused the cup of tea – saying that I wanted the “aftertaste” of these delicious Gulab Jamuns to linger on my tongue till I went to sleep so that I had sweet dreams.

My friend’s fiancée gave me a sweet smile on hearing these words of praise.

Soon – it was time to go.

We got up from the sofa.

We said “good bye” to everyone – and – I smiled a special “good bye” to my friend’s fiancée.

She too gave me a very loving smile.

As I walked towards the door – I felt my trouser pocket.

And – I suddenly realized that I had forgotten something.

I took out the bottle of exclusive “duty free” perfume from my pocket.

I looked at my friend’s fiancée lovingly.

I held out the bottle of perfume towards her and said: “This is for you…”

My friend’s fiancée looked at me in delightful surprise and exclaimed: “For me…? Thank you so much. I love perfumes. You are really nice – it was so thoughtful of you to get me such a nice gift…”

We said goodbye and walked down the staircase.

As we walked down – my friend “X” said to me: “Are you crazy or what…?”

“Crazy…? What did I do…?” I said.

“Why did you give that bottle of perfume to the girl’s mother…?” he said.

“Girl’s mother…?” I said, stunned.

“Yes. You gift my fiancée’s mother the most exclusive perfume – and for my fiancée – you have nothing. Tell me – what will my fiancée feel...?” my friend “X” said angrily to me. 

VIKRAM KARVE

Copyright © Vikram Karve 
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work. 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: