Tuesday, April 1, 2014

KESAR KASTURI

Humour in Uniform

KESAR KASTURI

When I was a young naval officer I was very fond of drinking and loved to try out different types of liquor.

Whenever my sailors went home on leave, out of courtesy they used to ask me: “Sir, should I get anything for you from my hometown?”

“Get me a bottle of the local liquor,” I would answer.

The sailors would be surprised by my request, but they would never forget my unique request, and the moment they returned from leave, a bottle of the choicest local liquor would be ready for my “perusal”.

Sailors brought me all sorts of liquor – feni, arrack, tharra, narangi, santara, nimboo, all kinds of desi daru – mostly the local country liquor (or to use a euphemism “Indian Made Indian Liquor” or IMIL)

My Chief EAR was from Rajasthan and he brought me a bottle of KESAR KASTURI

“Kesar Kasturi” was the most delicious liquor I had ever tasted.

As advised, I sipped it neat – no water, no soda, no “contamination”.

Once I started sipping, I just could not stop.

I had never savoured a liquor so tasty, so flavorsome and so smooth.

I don’t remember when I passed out – but I woke up next morning still sitting on the chair in my cabin, with the empty bottle of Kesar Kasturi in front of me.

I realized that Kesar Kasturi was quite a potent drink, and, because it tasted so delicious, it got imbibed so easily.

Come on, you “pongos” and connoisseurs out there – I am sure you have had much more memorable experiences with even more exotic liquors – do tell us all about it.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work. 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 

Disclaimer:
All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. This story is a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your story! Any idea whether I can buy Kesar Kasturi in the United States? Can I order it online for delivery to the United States? I would love to acquire a bottle to celebrate my friend's birthday :-)