Saturday, April 29, 2017

How a Mango Saved a Marriage

How a Mango Saved a Marriage
Story of the Happily Married Couple
By
VIKRAM KARVE

The Mango Season is here. 

Here is a picture of the “Hapus” Alphonso Mango I relished a few minutes ago. 


Mango – Two Cheeks” and One Seed” in the Centre
 
We  my wife and I  are experiencing the “much married” feeling  we are completing 35 years of married life soon and will be entering the 36th year of our marriage. 

So  on our marriage anniversary  we are going to cut a “Hapus” Alphonso Mango and share it together.

Then – I will tell my wife this Mango Story  which encapsulates the secret of a long marriage... 


How a Mango Saved a Marriage 

“happily” married couple was celebrating the golden jubilee of their married life - the 50th wedding anniversary of their very happy and successful marriage.

Both husband and wife – both of them loved mangoes. 

So – they decided to start the glorious day by eating a delicious Alphonso Mango  first thing in the morning.

The moment she saw the Mango  the subservient docile wife thought to herself in her mind:

“For 50 years – I have always sacrificed my own desires – and I been considerate towards my husband. 

I always gave my husband the deliciously sweet Cheeks of the Mango  those succulent fleshy slices next to the skin of the Mango – which I love to eat.
 
And  I myself always sacrificed my desires – and took the Seed” of the Mango – and I ate the sour Pulpy Part enveloping the Seed of the Mango which I don’t like to eat.

Enough is Enough...!!! 

Today – I am going to enjoy the delicious Cheeks of the Mango – yes – I will savour the heavenly sweet fleshy slices myself. 

And  for once  I will let my husband have the sour fibrous pulpy Seed”...”

So – the wife cut the Mango – and – she took the sweet chunky slices of the Mango Cheeks herself.

And – she gave the sour pulpy Seed of the Mango to her husband.

Then – the wife waited for her husband’s reaction with bated breath.

To her utter surprise  and contrary to her fears  her husband was very happy – and – he kissed her hand – and the husband said to his wife:

“My Darling  Thank You so much. 

You have just given me the greatest joy on our wonderful 50th wedding anniversary day. 

For 50 years – I sacrificed my desires – and I never ever asked you for the luscious tangy Seed of the Mango  which is what I like the most. 

I quietly ate the insipid Mango “Cheeks” you always gave me  even though I do not like them  because I always wanted you to enjoy and relish the tangy pulpy Mango Seeds – which are so tasty.

Now  on our 50th wedding anniversary – you have understood and appreciated my sacrifice – and you have given me the Seed part of the Mango which I always wanted to eat for so many years...”


MORAL OF THE STORY

I am confused about the Moral of the Story.
 
Is the Moral of the Story

“Sacrifice is the key to a long marriage 

A good marriage is all about mutual sacrifice and adjustment and consideration for your partner. 

In the Mango Story – the wife was desperate to “please” her husband – and – the husband did not want to displease his wife by frankly telling her his own likes and dislikes. 

So both husband and wife silently “sacrificed” their desires because they wanted to “please” each other. 

So – does this story imply a moral of the story that – in a marriage or relationship – you must go out of your way to “please” your partner. 
 
Is the “Disease to Please a sine qua non for a successful marriage...? 

Is this the moral of the story...? 

Or – is the Moral of the Story something else...? 

For 50 years  the wife kept giving her husband the Cheeks” of the Mango which she liked herself – and eating the Seed” of the Mango which she didn’t like. 

Why...?

Why didn’t the husband tell his wife even once in 50 years that he liked the Seed” of the Mango...? 

Is the Moral of the Story” about better mutual communication in a marriage...?

It is all very confusing. 

So – Dear Reader – you figure out the Moral of the Story” – while I cut a Mango. 

And – please do tell me – which part of the Mango should I give my “Better Half – the Cheek” – or the Seed” of the Mango...? 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All Stories in this Blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)


Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)
 

This is a revised repost of a story I wrote many years ago and have posted online on my blogs a number of times including at urls: http://vikramwamankarve.blogspot.in/2010/03/disease-to-please-mango-story-food-for.html  and  http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2013/05/mango-marriage-how-to-remain-married.html  etc

No comments: