Sunday, February 19, 2017

Refreshing Ginger Lemon Drink – My Favourite Pick-Me-Up “Sundowner”

MUMBAI MEMORIES – GINGER LEMON 
Refreshing Ginger Lemon Drink  – My Favourite Pick-Me-Up “Sundowner”
By
VIKRAM KARVE 

I love to exercise in the evenings – it makes you feel good and ensures sound sleep. 

In my heyday I used to play games or swim till I was physically exhausted and then I would soothe my tiredness by having a relaxing warm water bath. 

After that  as the sun set and twilight engulfed the sky  I would sit with a glass of Rum Pani (or occasionally Whisky-Soda)  sipping slowly  allowing the alcohol to gently permeate through my inner self  till I was soaked in that wonderful feeling of drowsy relaxation  which I cannot describe in words.

I have realized that if you want to really enjoy your food  you should build up an appetite for it. 

It is the same for drinking – to get the best out of alcohol  you have to build up an “appetite” for it. 

It has been my personal experience that I have truly enjoyed drinking the most  whenever I had created the proper inner ambience for the enjoyment of alcohol.

But – those were my halcyon days. 

Now  a retired “senior citizen” well past 60  every evening  I go for a long walk – and  after that I have the same relaxing warm water bath. 

Then  I sit in my tall open balcony  watching the sun set in the western horizon to my right  the orange ball of fire being swallowed and doused by the tranquil waters of the river Mula. 

Soon  after the riot of colours in the sky is over  twilight engulfs the surroundings  and there is the awesome spectacle of twinkling lights on the Bangalore Mumbai highway in the distance and in the tall buildings in Pune across the river even farther away.

But  in my hand  there is no longer a glass of Rum Pani or Whisky Soda. 

Nowadays  I gently sip from a glass of my favourite sundowner – chilled Ginger Lemon Soda.

It was on a typical hot sultry Mumbai afternoon in Dadar  many years ago  that I had my first taste of Ginger Lemon Drink – and – it was Tina’s Ginger Lemon

The first sip was so refreshing and fortifying  that I got hooked to this superbly tasty invigorating drink ever since. 

This delicious thirst quencher Ginger Lemon Cool Drink was available all over Mumbai  and  in my neighbourhood restaurant – Vihar Cafe  near Churchgate  they blended Ginger-Lemon in a mixer  so that it looked like an emulsion. 

I used to pick up bottles of Tina's Ginger-Lemon (my favourite brand)  and make a glass of Ginger Lemon with Soda at home  whenever I felt like having a stimulating pick-me-up.

Soon  I quit drinking alcohol  and  I realized that a cold glass of Ginger Lemon Soda was the ideal substitute – the refreshing and stimulating drink I enjoyed most. 

I love its sweet and sour tangy taste and instant feel-good restorative effect.

In Pune – I could not find my favourite Tina’s Ginger Lemon – so I make do with Mapro Lemon Ginger Squash – but then – I prefer Tina’s Ginger Lemon. 

Sadly – despite my best efforts – I could not find Tina’s Ginger Lemon in Pune. 

So – I decided to improvise and try to make Ginger-Lemon at home.


RECIPE for Home Made Ginger Lemon Squash

It is easy to make Ginger Lemon Squash at home too. 

Put one cup of sugar  two cups of water – and  a spoon of freshly crushed ginger paste (with all its fibres) in a vessel on slow fire – and keep stirring till it becomes syrupy. 

Then add half a cup of fresh lemon juice  stir a bit  and your Ginger Lemon Squash is ready. 

If you want fibres (to give you that extra “kick”) – don’t strain the squash – otherwise you can strain it if you want the squash clear.

Transfer to a bottle and keep in your fridge – you must keep it in a cool place  and finish it quite fast  since there are no preservatives.

A refreshing glass of Ginger Lemon Soda is not only much tastier  but also much healthier than your customary evening glass of Whisky Soda or Rum Pani  and it is an excellent appetizer too. 

Both Ginger and Lemon have many beneficial health properties – and  a glass of Ginger Lemon Soda a day will surely keep the doctor away.

That calls for a “drink”...!!!

Cheers...!!!

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 

This is a revised repost of my food blog posted online by me earlier a number of times including at url: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2012/03/sundowner-ginger-lemon-day-will-keep.html etc 

No comments: