Monday, April 25, 2016

People Migrate For a “Better Life”

WHY DO PEOPLE MIGRATE...?

Whenever I ask my people who have migrated abroad why they migrated to a new country – they always say: ‘We migrated for a Better Life”...’ 

I did not exactly understand what they really meant by Better Life”.

During my visit to New Zealand a few months ago – I met some people who had migrated to New Zealand for a Better Life”.

And – after talking to them – I began to understand a bit – though not very clearly.

But – it was after this conversation with the taxi driver in Auckland – that the meaning of Better Life” became crystal clear to me.

A BETTER LIFE
Conversation with a Taxi Driver in New Zealand
By
VIKRAM KARVE

The taxi arrived on the dot at 6:30 AM – as booked.

We checked out of our hotel in Parnell Auckland – and soon – we were on our way to Auckland International Airport to catch the flight to Seoul – the first leg of our return journey to India.

We had left Pune on the evening of the 21st of December 2015 – to catch our flight which took off from Mumbai in the wee hours of the 22nd of December – and now – it was the 8th of January 2016 – our 18 days in New Zealand had passed in a jiffy – one of the most enjoyable periods of our life.

Like all Taxi Drivers – our taxi driver was smartly dressed – navy blue trousers, white shirt and light blue tie.

He was tall and fair – but looked of Indian descent.

The taxi driver said “good morning” – and helped us with our luggage.

“If you don’t mind – we will drop off our daughter on the way at Epsom,” I said to the taxi driver.

“Sure, Sir,” he said.

We dropped off our daughter near her lodgings at Epsom – a 3 minute drive from our hotel – and continued on our way to the Airport 20 kilometres away.

“Are you from India, Sir…” the taxi driver asked.

“Yes…” I said.

“Is this your first visit to New Zealand…?” the taxi driver asked me.

“Yes…” I said.

“You came to meet your daughter…?” he said.

“Yes – and we did a bit of sightseeing too – all over the South Island – and around Auckland…” I said.

Suddenly – it started raining heavily.

“The weather is very fickle over here,” I said, “one day it is sunny and hot – and the next day it gets rainy and cold.”

“Sir – they say that in New Zealand – you sometimes get all the 4 seasons in one day…” he said.

“Are you also from India…?” my wife asked the taxi driver.

“I am from Lahore – but now I am a citizen of New Zealand for many years…” he said, “I came here more than 20 years ago.”

“Why did you migrate to New Zealand…?” I asked.

“For the sake of my children – I wanted them to get good education and have a ‘Better Life’…” he said.

“So you came here for a ‘Better Life’…?” I asked.

“Yes – I am happy I came here – my children got the best education free of cost – now - they have got good jobs and have settled down here – and I really have achieved a ‘Better Life’ here in New Zealand than what I would have got back home…” he said.

“That’s good…” I said.

“You know, Sir – what is the status of taxi drivers back there – but here – there is ‘dignity of labour’ – all types of jobs are respected equally – and even financially – you can earn a decent amount of money…” he said.

“Yes – I saw that everywhere – irrespective of the job they are doing – everyone seems to have self-esteem and are well-mannered, polished and educated…” I said.

“Sir – over there – you have to worry about your old age – but here – in New Zealand – once you become a citizen – you get all sorts of social security schemes and welfare allowances – unemployment benefit if you lose your job – they even pay your rent, if required – a superannuation pension – and all your needs are looked after by the government till you die…” he said.

“Really…?”

“Sir – back home – ‘healthcare’ for old age is a big issue – but here – you get top-class healthcare totally free – just last year – my wife had a knee replacement operation – and I did not spend a single penny – in fact – they even provided a wheelchair and special bed at my home for her period of convalescence – totally free of cost…” he said, “Sir – over there – you have to save money for your old age – especially for medical treatment in your old age if you fall ill – but here – you don’t have to save anything – since everything is looked after…”

“So you are very happy that you migrated to New Zealand for a ‘better life’…” I said.

“Yes – we are really having a much ‘Better Life’ over here than what we would have had over there – especially my children…” he said.

“Don’t you miss your roots…?” I asked.

“20 years ago – when I first came – I did miss my original country – and I used to visit once in 2 years – but now – New Zealand is my country – and our children are settled over here – there is nothing left back there for me now – so I hardly visit Lahore – in fact – I have not gone for the last 5 years…” he said.

The taxi had arrived at the Airport – and I bid goodbye to the taxi driver.

Earlier – when people who were migrating abroad to foreign countries would say that they were going there for a “Better Life – I did not exactly understand what they really meant.

But now – after the conversation with the taxi driver in Auckland – the meaning of “Better Life was crystal clear.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
This story is a work of fiction.  Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)

Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

Re-post of my story A BETTER LIFE posted by me Vikram Karve online earlier in my Academic and Creative Writing Journal Blog on 11 January 2016 at url: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2016/01/a-better-life-conversation-with-taxi.html

No comments: