Saturday, April 16, 2016

Humor in Uniform : “Overtime”

Humor in Uniform : “OVERTIME” 

Recently  I read an amusing new item that  German Army Soldiers Quit a NATO Exercise because they had Exceeded their “Overtime Limits  


This “Overtime” Story made me hark back to our glorious Vizag Days in the 1980’s – almost 30 years ago.

During my longish tenure in Visakhapatnam (Vizag)  I had two appointments  one afloat on a frontline warship  and one ashore in the inimitable Vizag Dockyard.

Serving in a Naval Dockyard is a unique professionally fulfilling experience  and I have permanently etched in my mind  many unforgettable memories of my time in the Yard

Here is a hilarious story which happened during my delightful Vizag Dockyard Days.

“XXX” HOUSE 
Unforgettable Memories of My Navy Life
A Spoof
By
VIKRAM KARVE

This happened around 30 years ago during my Vizag Dockyard Days.

A Senior Foreman was promoted to Officer Rank (Civilian Officer).

He called us to his house for a party to celebrate his promotion.

We were pleasantly surprised to see that he had built a posh bungalow.

When we saw the name of his bungalow  we was even more surprised and puzzled.

He had named his bungalow after a submarine  INS “XXX”

Engraved in large letters was the name of his impressive bungalow:

“XXX” HOUSE

I had never seen anyone name his house after the name of a ship or submarine.

Of course – some old sea dogs had named their homes with the ubiquitous navy name “ANCHORAGE” – but I had not seen any Naval Officer name his house after the name of a ship or submarine.

Hence – I was quite curious about the unusual name for his house  so I asked him the reason for naming his home after a submarine.

“Sir, I could build this bungalow only because of the overtime (OT) I earned from the refit of submarine INS “XXX” – you know, Sir  that “XXX” is under refit for so many years  and we have regular OT almost every day – and so many full night OT and I have been working on the refit of “XXX” right from the beginning  so I got plenty of OT thanks to “XXX” – which I saved to build this bungalow. So I named my bungalow“XXX” House as a mark of gratitude to submarine “XXX” because of whose refit this bungalow was possible...” he candidly said.

“That’s great,” I said.

Then I laughed and remarked to him: “By the way – the way the refit of “XXX” is progressing  it appears that it may take many more years to finish  and I am sure you will earn much more Overtime (OT) from the remaining refit of “XXX” – and you will be able to build an even more lavish bungalow – maybe you can name it “XXX” PALACE or “XXX” MANSION...

“Sir – sadly that is not possible,” he said.

“Not possible – why?” I asked him.

“Sir – now I have become an Officer – and Officers do not get Overtime (OT),” he said, with a pensive look on his face.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.  
2. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

This is a re-post of my story “XXX” HOUSE posted online by me Vikram Karve more than one year ago on 06 April 2015 in this Blog (Academic and Creative Writing Journal Vikram Karve) at url http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2015/04/humor-in-uniform-xxx-house.html

No comments: