Saturday, October 2, 2010

WHEN CUPID STRUCK

WHEN CUPID STRUCK
Short Fiction – A Love Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE

I vividly remember the moment I fell in love with my wife - the exact moment Cupid Struck. 

Let me tell you about it...


For those who have been lucky to have a love marriage, there is an important day to celebrate called wedding anniversary.

For me and my wife, surviving one of those quintessential arranged marriages, it is just another day...!

That is why, instead of romancing each other over candlelight dinner, my wife and I are browsing books at the bookstore.

Suddenly my wife says to me, “Arun, look...!”

“Where?” I ask.

“There, near the window – look at the woman in the red dress,” my wife says, pointing her hand.

I look at the woman in the red dress.

“Don’t you know who she is?” my wife asks excitedly.

“No,” I say.

“She is Nisha – the famous romantic author,” my wife says ardently.

“I’ve never heard of her,” I say nonchalantly.

“You come with me,” my wife says and I follow her towards the bestseller rack near the entrance, where she pulls out a paperback from the shelf and shows me the photo of the woman in the red dress on the back-cover.

“Yes, it is her,” I say, “let’s go home.”

“Come, Arun, let’s meet her and get her autograph on this book…” my wife says.

“No…” I interrupt, “she’s browsing…she won’t like to be disturbed…let’s go…” I say and I turn towards the exit.

“Please…”

“No…don’t give these authors too much importance…let’s go home…” I say irritably, motioning my wife with my eyes.

“You go. I’m going to get her autograph on this book,” my wife says, and she starts walking towards the woman in red who is still absorbed nose deep into browsing the book in her hand.

I turn and quietly walk into the philosophy section and browse books.

After a while my wife comes and says, “She wants to meet you…”

“Who?”

“Nisha – the author…”

“But I don’t want to…”

“Hi Arun, remember me?” says the woman in the red dress suddenly appearing in front of me.

I am struck dumb.

“Arun and me had a real good time together in college,” the woman in the red dress says to my wife, then looks at me and says, “You remember what all we did, don’t you, Arun?”

I avert my eyes, wish the earth below me would split and swallow me up.

“Hey Arun, you’ve told her all about us haven’t you, darling?” the woman in the red dress says, digging her fangs into me like a snake and seeing the horror-struck expression on my face the woman turns and speaks to my wife, “I am really sorry, but I thought there was no place for secrets between husband and wife….”

“Of course Arun has told me everything about you,” my wife says emphatically to the woman in the red dress looking her in the eye, and then turns to me and says, “shall we go home, Arun ?”

Mesmerized, awestruck, I look at my wife and for the first time in my life I feel a flood of love for her.

That was the moment I fell in love with my wife, yes that was the moment Cupid struck.


Dear Reader, thank you for reading this story.

Now after reading this story, don’t you want to tell us about that special unforgettable moment when Cupid struck and you fell in love with your wife or husband or that someone special in your life?

Please do comment and let us know.


VIKRAM KARVE
© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 
Copyright © Vikram Karve 2010
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work.
 
VIKRAM KARVE educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU, Lawrence School Lovedale, and Bishop's School Pune, is an Electronics and Communications Engineer by profession, a Human Resource Manager and Trainer by occupation, a Teacher by vocation, a Creative Writer by inclination and a Foodie by passion. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories and creative non-fiction articles in magazines and journals for many years before the advent of blogging. His delicious foodie blogs have been compiled in a book "Appetite for a Stroll". Vikram lives in Pune with his family and pet Doberman girl Sherry, with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts.
 
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog - http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com
 
Academic Journal Vikram Karve – http://karvediat.blogspot.com
 
Professional Profile of Vikram Karve - http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve 
 
Email:   vikramkarve@sify.com
 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.


4 comments:

sambarman said...

Nice work. Now that I've found a good writer...I should commit myself reading the other stories you have posted. To be honest, this story resembles an incident which happened in my life...

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Dear Sambarman,
Thanks. Please do read my stories and comment - I will look forward to your feedback.
Regards
Vikram

ucant-seeme said...

Nice writing, though its a fiction, how wonderful it would be, if it would have actually happened with someone, and I was just imagining the love which the wife harbors for her husband. Simply its just all love.

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ uncantseeme - thanks for your nice words. Yes, it is all love